The Self -guided School Programme is open to all educators wanting to make use of the Outreach Bus to visit Kirstenbosch. It is available for all Grades on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but the bus on Tuesday is used to transport senior citizens.(10h00-14h00).
Cost: R10, 00 per person
Time: 8h30 -12h30 or 10h00 -14h00
Compulsory pre-visit workshops
Compulsory pre-visit workshops are offered once a term for teachers bringing learners on self-guided visits. These will enable educators to use the Kirstenbosch Garden as a teaching and learning resource.
The target group is educators from schools that will be bringing their learners on a self-guided school visit, i.e. they will be conducting the learning programme on their own without a guide. However, any interested teachers are welcome to attend these workshops.
By the end of the workshop educators will :
- Know the 'do's and don'ts' in the Outreach bus, the Gold Fields EE Centre Garden and the main Kirstenbosch Garden.
- Have received an opportunity to go through available resource material.
- Have participated in activities that they can adapt to suit their own needs.
- Own a copy of the Biodiversity Resource Pack. This pack provides teachers with useful activities that they can use at school and at Kirstenbosch.
- Have gained confidence to take learners through the garden by themselves.
Teacher Development workshops for 2004:
- Foundation Phase educators - using the Useful Plant Garden to develop teaching and learning support materials to facilitate environmental learning. Interetsed Foundation Phase educators to contact the centre for more information.